SIDS and Kids Hunter Region is an association which provides ongoing bereavement support for those affected by the death of a baby or child during pregnancy, birth, infancy or childhood; for example: Miscarriage, Stillbirths, Neonatal deaths, SIDS, Accidents, Illnesses and Drowning. The organisation also provides support for parents who have experienced the death of an older child.
We provide community education services for parents, health professionals, students and others in the community on grief and reducing the risks of SIDS and Safe Sleeping Environments.
SIDS and Kids Hunter region raises funds to maintain our bereavement support service, counselling and health promotion services, and to help fund research into SIDS and unexplained perinatal deaths.
Similar regions to that of the former Hunter Area Health services and similar areas to the Awabakal Wonnarua and Worimi lands
SIDS and Kid Hunter provide:
– 24 hour crisis & bereavement support line
– ongoing Bereavement Support for those affected by the death of a child
– individual or group support sessions as required by bereaved parents and their famiies
– a professional grief counsellor
– referral to other services if needed
– a quarterly newsletter for families and others who support our group
– workshops for children who have experienced the death of a baby brother or sister
– invitations to events and meetings
Early intervention is important to provide accurate information, including a range of options regarding funeral arrangements and to assist with other issues that may arise at the time of the child’s death.