Warning on liquid laundry detergent capsule injuries

The ACCC is encouraging changes to laundry detergent pod packaging after putting the industry on notice that liquid laundry detergent capsules are injuring Australian children.

“Children who have either ingested these laundry capsules or have been exposed to them have experienced symptoms such as severe skin irritations, coughing, drowsiness, vomiting and even temporary blindness,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

Parents and carers should:

  • Keep laundry capsules out of sight and reach of children, preferably in cupboards or storage compartments that they can’t reach, or are lockable.
  • Contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 if you believe your child has symptoms of having been exposed to household chemicals such as laundry capsules.
  • If laundry detergent or capsules are swallowed by your child, rinse as much of the detergent as possible from their mouth and seek immediate medical advice. If the product comes into contact with your child’s eyes, immediately flush their eyes with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical advice. For medical advice, call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
  • Ensure your hands are dry before using a laundry capsule and wash and dry your hands thoroughly after use.

Read the media release here and product alert here.

This Responsive Wordpress website is produced by Bizar Mobile - iPhone app Development, html5 Development