ACCC releases Safe Santa Checklist
Are you giving safe gifts this Christmas?
The ACCC has released a checklist to help you check your Christmas shopping for safety, whether you’re buying in-store or online.
Before you shop, check:
- No products on your shopping list have been recalled. Download the Recalls Android or iPhone app or check the Recalls website to find out.
- You’re following ACCC Product Safety on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for the latest info on product safety in Australia.
- You’re getting email alerts and/or RSS feeds from www.productsafety.gov.au and www.recalls.gov.au
While you’re Christmas shopping, check:
- Any warning labels or safety information. The item might not be safe for the person you’re buying for.
- Toys are age-appropriate. Check the age-grading on the packaging – it’s there for safety as well as child development reasons.
- Toys for 3 year olds and under don’t present a choking hazard. Make sure no small parts can come off, and see if the toy can fit into a cylinder pencil sharpener or film canister (approximate diameter 32 mm).
- You’re not purchasing a banned product by mistake. Even ‘innocent’-looking products could be subject to one of the 22 permanent bans that are in place right now: www.productsafety.gov.au/bans
For more information go to www.productsafety.gov.au/safesanta.